Research is a critical part of the mission of the Osteopathic Medicine Center. Cutting edge research has never been more important to advance osteopathic medicine.
Please use this site as a repository of current and past research projects being conducted and NYITCOM, specifically related to osteopathic manipulative medicine and osteopathic principles. There is vast research being conducted at NYITCOM across many different important topics that can be further investigated on the NYITCOM website.
Research at NYIT
Parkinson's Disease and Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment
- Li, Raymond, Jose, Ann, Poon, Jessica, Zou, Cindy, Istafanos, Maria and Yao, Sheldon C.. "Efficacy of osteopathic manipulative treatment in patients with Parkinson’s disease: a narrative review" Journal of Osteopathic Medicine, vol. , no. , 2021. https://doi.org/10.1515/jom-2021-0081
- Li TS, Mancini J, Integrative Approach for Parkinson's disease, Alternative and Complementary Therapies, February 2017: Vol 23, No. 1: 34
- Donoghue JD, de Vries K, Apoznanski T, Mancini J, Yao SC. “Osteopathic Manipulation as a Complementary Approach to Parkinson’s Disease: A Controlled Pilot Study” DOI: 10.3233/NRE-161400 Published online: October 31, 2016, NeuroRehabilitation, vol. Preprint, no. Preprint, pp. 1-7, 2016
- Yao SC, Hart A, Terzella MJ. “An Evidence-Based Osteopathic Approach to Parkinson's Disease" Osteopathic Family Physician Volume 5, Issue 3, Pages 96-101, May 2013
- Mancini JD and Varkey A. "Integration of Osteopathic Manual Treatments in the Management of Foot Dystonia in Parkinson’s Disease: A Case Series" Int J Neurorehabilitation Eng 2016, 3:6
Neurological Considerations and Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment
- Halimi M, Leder A, and Mancini J. "Integration of osteopathic manual treatments in management of cervical dystonia with tremor: A case series" Tremor and other hyperkinetic disorders 2016
- Osteopathic Considerations in the Management of Migraine in Pregnancy Soshnick S, Mezzone C, Yao SC, Abu-Sbaih R. Osteopathic Family Physician, March/April 2015, p 19–23.
- Loh, M. and Kooyman, P. (accepted for publication June 2013). Charcot-Marie-Tooth and Other Inherited Neuropathies. In Domino FJ (Ed.), The 5-Minute Clinical Consult 2015, Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins.
- Giordano, J. and Kooyman, P. (accepted for publication January 2013). Horner syndrome. In Domino FJ (Ed.), The 5-Minute Clinical Consult 2014, Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins.
- Kooyman, P. "Pediatric Headache Case Study," The Cranial Letter, November 2007, Volume 60, Number 4
- Guernsey DT, Leder A, Yao S. Resolution of Concussion Symptoms After Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment: A Case Report. J Am Osteopath Assoc 2016;116(3):e13-e17. doi: 10.7556/jaoa.2016.036.
Gastrointestinal Considerations and Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine
- Watari J (OMS IV), Danowitz M (OMS IV), Jacobs S (OMS IV), Li, To S, Etiology, Evaluation, and Osteopathic Management of Adult Constipation, Osteopathic Family Physician, Vol.8 No.4, July/August 2016: 24-31
- Domalski, R.S., Nimkoff, L., Yao, S.C., Kooyman, P. Application of OMT in a pediatric postoperative ileus case. American Academy of Osteopathy Journal2014; 24(2):24.
- Fisher, J.F., Henderson, A.T., Li, T.S., and Bridges, K.G. Changes in Salivary α-amylase After Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment, JAOA, Jan 2009; 109:S34
Dermatologic Considerations in Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment
- Lal K, Lowe E, Treyger G, Li, T.S., East Meets West and Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine: Combining Treatment Modalities for Atopic Dermatitis, Practical Dermatology, September 2016: 26-32, 56
Pediatric Considerations and Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment
- Apoznanski TE, Abu-Sbaih R, Terzella MJ, Yao S. Resolution of dacryostenosis after osteopathic manipulative treatment. J Am Osteopath Assoc. 2015;115Feb(2):110-114. doi:10.7556/jaoa.2015.022
Obstetrics and Gynecological Considerations and Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment
- Hastings V, McCallister AM, Curtis SA, Valant RJ, Yao S. Efficacy of Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment for Management of Postpartum Pain. J Am Osteopath Assoc 2016;116(8):502-509. doi: 10.7556/jaoa.2016.103.
Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine Educational Research
- Snider KT, Dowling DJ, Seffinger MA, Channell MK, Yao SC, Gustowski SM, Johnson JC,Martin Pryor JM. “Effect of Table Trainer Ratios on the Outcomes of Student Assessments of Cervical Muscle Energy Techniques”. J Am Osteopath Assoc 2015;115(9):556-564.
- Vazzana KM, Yao SC, Jung MK, Terzella MJ. “Effect of Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment (OMT) Clinical Exposure on First and Second Year Osteopathic Medical Students’ Outlook on OMT.” J Am Osteopath Assoc. 2014 Jul;114(7):572-80
- Meghpara MK, Terzella MJ, Flaum TB, Jung MK, Yao SC. “Usefulness of Video Learning for Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine (OMM) Techniques in the Educational and Clinical Setting” American Academy of Osteopathy Journal, Volume 23, Number 3, pages 24-30, September 2013
Respiratory Considerations and Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment
- Celebi, T., J. Muller, and M. Terzella. “Osteopathic Considerations in Pneumonia”. Osteopathic Family Physician, Vol. 13, no. 5, Sept. 2021, pp. 14–20, doi:10.33181/13048.
- Yao SC, Hassani J, Gagne M, George G, Gilliar W. “Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment As A Useful Adjunctive Tool For Pneumonia” J. Vis. Exp. (87), e50687, doi:10.3791/50687 (2014)